Monday, March 28, 2011

"Raw! Raw! cut."

Libby and I had a craving for no-bake cookies last night, so I hopped on the computer and got hold of a recipe and then proceeded to change it beyond recognition. Here's the result!

Healthy no-bake cookies

3/4 C agave or honey
1/2 C unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 C raw coconut oil, liquified over low heat
1/2 C almond butter
2 C oats
3/4 C brewer's yeast flakes (nutritional yeast)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

Mix all ingredients well and drop by rounded tablespoons onto a cookie sheet. Transfer to the refrigerator to harden for a few whiles. Move cookies to an airtight container and enjoy at will:)

Why on earth does Elise insist on putting brewer's yeast in these cookies? Well, because it is really good for you! It is very rich in B vitamins, chromium and fiber. Chromium is especially important in my family, because we all seem to have pancreas problems, and chromium is really good for your pancreas. It is also safer to eat chromium-rich foods to supply your deficiency than to take it in supplement form because you can overdo it. One word of warning, it is possible to eat too much brewer's yeast and it can make you sick, so just be careful.

(I do hope all readers of this blog caught the title and where it originated from:)

PS-I am a health nut.


3 comments:

  1. Haha...you must have read my mind Elise! :P I was looking over the recipe and wondering why you put the nutritional yeast in your no bakes! ;) BUT it's a good idea. We will have to try it next time! :D Hmm....I've been wondering about taking too much chromium of late so thank you for the reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are delish!
    No I'm not ridic :))
    In fact, I'm heading out to the refrigerator to get one of them. (Oh - we like to call them 'Choco-oaties' :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAha! I love the title of your post!! :D These look simply scrumptious! We use a recipe very similar but we never thought about adding the nutritional yeast...what a great idea! :-)

    ReplyDelete