Saturday, January 5, 2013

One year ago today, we went ice-skating with friends in Idaho.  Remember?  

I had the privilege of getting some time to talk to Sarah while we skated.  And I asked some hard questions.  Sometimes that's the best way to get to know someone :)  Questions like "What do you want to do in life?"and "Do you want to be married?" and "Is it hard waiting?"
Sarah's honest answers were so encouraging to me.  


She said she was content right where she was.  She didn't need a guy to make her happy and joyful-- Jesus Christ was more than enough to satisfy her.  
Over the past year, there have been many times when I thought back on her words and found encouragement in her example.  I, too, do not need a guy to make me fulfilled.  I can be perfectly content and whole at this time in my life because that is where God has placed me.  
Whatever comes from His hand is loving and right, and I can rest in His providential ordering of my life because He has made me His child.  

Today, Sarah is getting married.  Exactly one year (to the day!) after telling me she was content without a husband, God is giving her one.  This whole story puts me in awe of God's mysterious moving to accomplish His purposes.  And guess who she's marrying?  
My dear friend Kaitlin's older brother Aaron!!!!



No one could have planned this but the Author of life and love.  

  1. God moves in a mysterious way
    His wonders to perform;
    He plants His footsteps in the sea
    And rides upon the storm.
  2. Deep in unfathomable mines
    Of never failing skill
    He treasures up His bright designs
    And works His sov’reign will.
  3. Ye fearful saints, fresh courage take;
    The clouds ye so much dread
    Are big with mercy and shall break
    In blessings on your head.
  4. Judge not the Lord by feeble sense,
    But trust Him for His grace;
    Behind a frowning providence
    He hides a smiling face.
  5. His purposes will ripen fast,
    Unfolding every hour;
    The bud may have a bitter taste,
    But sweet will be the flow’r.
  6. Blind unbelief is sure to err
    And scan His work in vain;
    God is His own interpreter,
    And He will make it plain.

~William Cowper~


"Praise Him for His mighty acts: praise Him according to His excellent greatness."
Psalm 150:2

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Elise! I had no idea it was exactly to the day! God truly does work in miraculous ways! Glory be to His name! Thank you for the encouraging words. They were a blessing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a special story! Amazing the way in which God arranged that. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete